The Virginia High School League (VHSL) is a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations. All rules and regulations governing secondary school boys' and girls' athletic contests and practices are established by the VHSL, the Fluvanna County School Board, and The Fluvanna County High School Administration.
To be eligible to represent Fluvanna County High School in any VHSL sponsored interscholastic contest a student shall meet the following requirements:
1. 28-1-1 Bona Fide Student Rule: The Student shall be a regular bona fide student in good standing of the school that he/she represents. (2) Any student who is under penalty of suspension, or whose character or conduct is such as to reflect discredit upon his/her school, is not considered in good standing.
2. 28-2-1 Grade Rule: The student shall be enrolled in the last four years of high school (2) eighth-grader who passed five 8th grade subjects the past school year and reached the age of fifteen on or before the first day of August may compete on the varsity level.
3. 28-3-1 Enrollment Rule: the student shall have been regularly enrolled in the school that he/she represents not later than the fifteenth school day of the semester.
4. 28-4-1 Scholarship Rule: The student shall:
(a). For the first semester, be currently enrolled in not fewer than five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation have passed five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation the immediately preceding year of the immediately preceding semester for schools that certify credit on the semester basis.
(b) For the second semester, be currently enrolled in not fewer than five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation and have passed five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation the immediately preceding semester.
5. 28-5-1 Age Rule: The student shall not have reached the age of 19 on or before the first day of August of the school year in which he/she wishes to complete.
6. 28-6-1 Transfer Rule: the student shall not have enrolled in one high school and subsequently transferred to be enrolled in another high school without a corresponding change in the residence of his/her parents, parent, or guardian.
7. 28-7-1 Semester Rule: the student shall not have been enrolled in the last four years of high school for a period of more than eight consecutive semesters, beginning with the semester in which he/she was enrolled for the first time in the ninth grade. The eighth consecutive semester shall be counted continuously from the point, regardless of whether or not he/she remains continuously enrolled in school.
8. 28-8-1 Amateur Rule: the student shall be an amateur. An Amateur is an athlete who engages in VHSL athletics solely for the educational, physical, mental, and social benefits he/she derives there from, and to whom the VHSL athletes are nothing more than an avocation.
9. 28-9-1 Athletic Participation/Parent Consent/Physical Examination Rule: